Durban Image: Entrance to Chapel, Old Fort, Durban

A Durban tagged image from Flickr - click on the name of the photographer below the image to see more Durban goodness. Entrance to Chapel, Old Fort, Durban Image by Kleinz1 The entrance to the Chapel at the Old Fort, Durban. The Old Fort is declared a National Monument (now called Heritage sites). The Chapel originally served as the armament magazine at the fort. … [Read more...]

Durban Image: Commemorative Tablet, Old Fort, Durban

A Durban tagged image from Flickr - click on the name of the photographer below the image to see more Durban goodness. Commemorative Tablet, Old Fort, Durban Image by Kleinz1 Tablet found within the Old Fort, Durban. It reads: This tablet commemorates with pride and gratitude the following early colonists if Natal who accompanied by some 800 loyal Natives went to the aid of the Voortrekkers in 1838 - Alexander Biggar, George Biggar, Robert Biggar, John Cane, John Stubbs, Thomas Calder, Robert Russel, John Kemble, Richard Lovedale, … [Read more...]

Durban Image: Plaque 1, The Old Fort, Durban

A Durban tagged image from Flickr - click on the name of the photographer below the image to see more Durban goodness. Plaque 1, The Old Fort, Durban Image by Kleinz1 This plaque is at the left hand side of the entrance to the Old Fort in Durban. It reads: THE OLD FORT Within this area was situated the camp in which a small British force under Captain T. Charlon Smith of the 27th regiment (Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers) was beleagured by the emigrant Boers under Commandant Andries Pretorius. In 1842 to secure relief for the garrison, … [Read more...]

Durban Image: Plaque 2, The Old Fort, Durban

A Durban tagged image from Flickr - click on the name of the photographer below the image to see more Durban goodness. Plaque 2, The Old Fort, Durban Image by Kleinz1 This Plaque is at the right hand side of the entrance to the Old Fort Durban. It reads: THE OLD FORT In 1908 the British War Office leased it to the Durban Light Infantry and in due course this lease was continued by the Union Defence Dept. In 1935 it was vested in the Historical Monuments Commission and in 1939 the Commission habded over the curatorship of the property to … [Read more...]